Date:      Wed, 24 May 2006 15:53:08 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Marko Lerota <marko.lerota@zg.t-com.hr>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Nash Nipples <trashy_bumper@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: nfsd and CPU/performance problem

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 03:15:42PM +0200, Marko Lerota wrote:
> Nash Nipples <trashy_bumper@yahoo.com> writes:
>=20
> >    Hi Marko,
> >
> > Actually i dont find that load critical. I think those lines well tell =
that actually the process is running 581m42s and now it utilizes 13.48%=20
>=20
> Sometimes it was 80%
>=20
> > which sounds like a "kernel tuning issue" if you have excluded nfsserve=
r out of your kernel config last time u were compiling it. if you didnt jus=
t skip this part at this time.
> >     please make sure that the following lines do exist
> >     options         NFSCLIENT               # Network Filesystem  Client
> >     options         NFSSERVER               # Network Filesystem Server
> >     options         NFS_ROOT                # NFS usable as /, requires=
 NFSCLIENT
>=20
> No=20
>=20
> > These options are added in rc.conf and server now works correctly. =20
> >
> > rpc_lockd_enable=3D"YES"
> > rpc_statd_enable=3D"YES"
>=20
> It didn't help.

See discussion on stable@ for what is believed to be the problem.
Backing out the changes to vfs_lookup.c would work around the problem
for now (although it reintroduces other bugs).

> Now cpu is like it should be, but BSD crashes twice a day=20
> with nothing in logs that I can find.

What do you mean "crashes" then?  Do you need to configure crashdumps
as described in the handbook and developers' handbook?

Kris

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99--