Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 19:26:45 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Burbaickij Ariel <Ariel.Burbaickij@erl9.siemens.de>, "'wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG'" <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Xircom troubles [was: Re: Information I was requested for]

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 08:35:20AM +0100, Burbaickij Ariel wrote:
> [...]

First of all, could you please quote your replies in a more normal way --
I'm having great trouble following which parts of these messages are Bill's
and which are your replies.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand.  Xircom cards are somewhat notorious
for being very picky about which IRQs they will work with (I have no idea
why).  Try changing your /etc/pccard.conf to force the card onto IRQ 10 or
11, assuming nothing else is already using these.  Xircoms like those IRQs
:-)  The watchdog timeouts you've been getting are symptomatic of
interrupts not being received for packets sent out.  The usual cause of
this is a bad IRQ choice.

I see a '/etc/pccard_ether: not found' in your dmesg output: are you sure
that file and anything it might reference actually do exist?

I wouldn't be so sure there's nothing lurking on IRQ 5, either.  The laptop
I'm typing this on (a ThinkPad 380D) has audio hardware that likes to sit
there without telling you about it -- caused no end of problems with the
Xircom driver before I discovered this.

You might want to drop DHCP and configure the thing by hand until you know
it's working.  One less variable to worry about.

Hope that helps,

	Scott