Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2018 13:45:25 -0400
From:      Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: A few build system questions

--fvchysnIemPOLSRGZ16pHlOlfFgu5o7mp
From: Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To: Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc: Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>,
 FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>

--uz9yhhPN9gGHDwqeYOlApfCe3gMZN2doh

On 08/02/2018 12:56, Warner Losh wrote:
>=20
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2018, 5:19 PM Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net
> <mailto:eric@metricspace.net>> wrote:
>=20
>     On 08/02/2018 11:33, Brooks Davis wrote:
>     > On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 11:17:06AM -0400, Eric McCorkle wrote:
>     >> Hi,
>     >>
>     >> I have a few questions about how to accomplish some things with =
the
>     >> build system.
>     >>
>     >> First, I want to create some libraries that exist only as static=

>     >> archives, meaning no shared object (ex. libsomething.a, but no
>     >> libsomething.so)
>     >
>     > If it's something for use by only the base system PRIVATELIB=3D w=
ill
>     > do it (and change the name to libprivatesomethi.a).=C2=A0 If you =
want to be
>     > broadly available outside the base system, NO_SHARED=3D should do=
 it
>     IIRC.
>=20
>     If loader and kernel are able to use private libraries, then that i=
>     probably better, actually.
>=20
>=20
> They aren't.=C2=A0 Src/stand depends on no objects in the system other =
than
> what is built in src/stand. What you are proposing is a non-starter. Th=
> loader

I think you hit "send" too soon...

Basically what I'm trying to do at this point is two things.

First, I want to convert some certs into C declarations and embed them
into a static library, which can in turn be used to embed them into
applications.  This is essentially the same thing that some drivers do,
where they embed the firmware binaries directly into the driver.

Second, and a (somewhat) separate thing, I'm trying to see if I can get
a PoC of extracting the specific primitives out of OpenSSL and using
them in place of the current software crypto implementations in kernel
and loader.  (objcopy ought to be able to do this to a static library in
theory)