Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:14:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Jesus A. Mora" <jmora@hvm.sas.cica.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with my hard disk geometry?

Hi!

Some days ago, I got my new PC. First, I setup Win98se and then FreeBSD 4.2
on the second slice.
Shortly after, Windows began to strange things and it even crashed just on
booting.
I got fed up and decided to reinstall Win98 (original version, this time). Of
course, it zapped the BootManager, so I ran BOOTINST, but FreeBSD proved to
be unable to boot. I read anywhere that this could be because of some problem
related with the HD geometry and the solution was to reinstall FreeBSD

I have a question: those crashes of Win98 could be caused for some strange
incompatibilities or corruption in the info on the Partition Table derived
from the installation of FreeBSD?
It's not a joke: I need BOTH systems on my PC. I know that Windows is not a
model of stability and reliability, but I would like to be sure that a new
installation of FreeBSD won't cripple Windows, behaving "a la Microsoft".

These are the data:

>> Hard Disk: Seagate ST-320413A
	Size: 20021MB
	Cyl: 38792	Hd: 16	Sectors: 63

>> Fdisk MS-DOS: (very terse, of course)
	Total Space: 19093MB
	Part.:	DOS: 13978 MB
		Non-DOS: 5114 MB

>> Win98 sees a HD geometry of 2434 cyl, 255 heads  and 63 sectors (LBA mode).

>> MBR-Partition Table: (after reinstalling Win98)
	Part.#			1			2
	Active			80			00

	Start: 	H		1			255
		S		1			11111111
		C		0			11111111

	Op.Sys			0c (FAT)		a5 (FreeBSD)

	End:	H		254			254
		S		11111111		11111111
		C		11111111		11111111

	Sectors Preceding:	63			28627830
	Length:			28627767		10474380

>> FreeBSD's FDISK: (after reinstalling Win98, and FreeBSD unable to boot)
	Disk name: ad0
	Geometry: Cyl: 2434   Heads: 255   Sectors: 63
		--> 39102210 sectors (19092MB)

   Offset	Size (ST)	End
   0		63		62		-		(unused)
   63		28627767	28627829	ad0s1		FAT	  =
   28627830	10474380	39102209	ad0s2		FreeBSD	  C=
   39102210	126		39102335	-		(unused)

Well, I hope some kind fellow will enlighten my mind.
TIA