Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 16:20:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipop3d, pine, and large mail files

I'm having a problem with ipop3d and pine dealing with large mail files.
For example, I had a user named em111 and the /var/mail/em111 file was
around 15 megs.  Both ipop3d and pine blew up for this user after chewing
up 200 megs of virtual memory.  It really surprised me that ipop3d would
even be *trying* to read the entire file into RAM.

Regardless, it seems on a system with 30 megs free RAM and 200 megs of
virtual that pine or pop3d should not need more memory than that.  Is
there a misconfiguration here?