Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:30:51 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Peter" <fbsdq@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD with two NIC's

> On 03/15/2001 3:54:08 PM, "Matthew Emmerton" is quoted as saying:
>
> . . . .|Yep, it's perfectly fine -- provided that both computers are going
through
> . . . .|the phone network to connect to each other.  (You can't hook modem
A to
> . . . .|modem B with a standard RJ11 patch cable, nor with a crossed RJ11
patch
> . . . .|cable.)
>
> Why not I remember playing games in the dos world by doing a null
> modem connection back when NIC's were too expensive for me.  Basically
> just two computers sitting next to each other, and dialing each other up.

That works fine with a null-modem cables connecting two serial ports, but
you can't connect two modems to each other via a piece of (crossed)
telephone cable.   Modems expect to have 48VDC on the wire (by the design of
the PSTN), and won't operate unless that voltage is present.

--
Matt Emmerton