Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 11:51:46 +0200
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disabling inetd?

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000, Will Andrews wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was just a few minutes ago talking with some of my colleagues about
> disabling inetd completely in a default install.
>
> What are people's opinions about doing this?  IMHO there is nothing in
> inetd that is absolutely essential when someone installs FreeBSD on a
> virgin system.  Let's take a few things as examples.  Telnet is an
> insecure protocol and has been replaced for the most part by SSH.  Then
> there's FTP.  How many people are going to run FTP servers on their
> machines by default?  Now talk daemon, auth server (for ident, typically
> used with IRC), and finger.  Not everyone really needs these.
>
> Our inetd.conf should reflect what would be NEEDED by a typical
> installation by default.
>
> Some might say "why fix something that ain't broke?".  Well, I think
> that it's fairly well-known that holes can be exploited through inetd.
> Proactive security is better than leaving possible holes open by
> default, IMO.  Administrators who know what they're doing can open up
> each hole as they need to.
>
> Could someone give me a reason why anything invoked by our current
> inetd.conf is needed across all installed systems by default?  If not,
> then inetd itself should be disabled by default.

Do you have a neat way of getting ssh to work out of the box with
a non-US crypto install? If there is a neat way, then sure, enable
sshd by default and disable inetd. Until then I think inetd+telnet
should be the only thing enabled on the box.

If I remember right, the telnet port isn't insecure by itself, only
open telnet connections. So there really isn't anything to be said
for killing telnet for 'out of the box security' - if people use
telnet rather than ssh, they're going to enable it anyway.

Other than that, I am happy with killing inetd or most (read all
bar telnet) of its services at install.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the
<adrian@FreeBSD.org>		rest of the evening. Set a man on fire and