Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 15:03:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        jonathan@graehl.org
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftpd SITE MD5 and "really bad links"

In article <NCBBLOALCKKINBNNEDDLIEIPDMAA.jonathan@graehl.org> you write:
>MD5 is also held to have some cryptographic weaknesses (compared to,
>say, SHA-1 or Tiger); is the feeling that it is more than sufficient
>against any conceivable systematic/accidental source of error not
>specifically designed to exploit what weaknesses MD5 has?

If such a command were being officially standardized, it would
probably be called "DIGEST <type-of-digest> <file> [offset [length]]"
to allow for other types of message-digest algorithms, with a command
to show the available digest types.  (Apparently many European
concerns will object to any message digest-using protocol that doesn't
allow for RIPEMD160, regardless of whether it's actually
security-sensitive.)

I'd be happy to write this up as an RFC and take it through the
process, if someone wants to implement it.  (Obviously, the initial
implementation should be "SITE DIGEST" and then we can change it if
the unqualified version makes it through the Internet Standards
Process.)

-GAWollman