Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 14:51:15 -0400
From:      sbabkin@dcn.att.com
To:        frank@our.domaintje.com, tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: SMP performance decrease?

> ----------
> From: 	Alex Povolotsky[SMTP:tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru]
>
> >> Execl thoughput                  90.8        46.8   <- ???
> >> Pipe-based context switching     20.4         9.0   <- ???
> >> Shell scripts (8 concurrent)     12.8        12.2   <- ???
>
> >> I don't understand why execl throughput and context switching is
> TWICE
> >> slower in SMP mode, and I doesn't understand AT ALL why shell
> script
> >> benchmark isn't twice faster.
>
> >I don't know Benchbyte, but maybe these are times in seconds and
> >lower is better? Also, unless you have an automatic multi threading
> No :-(
> >compiler like Convex has the second cpu doesn't do you much good

These tests are trying to spawn more than one process, so
compiler has nothing to do with it.

> >if you only run one process in your benchmark.
> Well, I can beleive if performance won't increase. But why can it
> DECREASE?

Probably, synchronization overhead ? May be, not only in
software, but also in hardware level. Also, if the processes
are scheduled to the first available processor without trying
to keep "processor locality", it may lead to lots of memory cache
flushes.

Serge