Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:16:56 +0100 (MET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@ravenock.cybercity.dk>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, hitman.jack@djo.com, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: You tell me...

> As hitman.jack@djo.com wrote:
>
> > Well, i NOW have freebsd 3.0 and was installing it with boot.flp for 3.0
> > as i should, and while i boted from the floppy it did its thing, and
> > when it got to the end of decompressing the kernel, instead of going
> > into the setup menu ( ive done it with 2.1.7 ) it does some weird stuff
> > with the monitor.  I have a VGA monitor, and a super VGA card on my
> > cyrix686 with 8 megs of ram.  Well, it just shows a bunch of colorful
> >  vertical lines spaced about a quarter of an inch apart, like it might
> > be a conflict with the SVGA and only a VGA monitor, i dunno though.
>
> Søren, i've heard this from other people as well, somebody locally
> told me about a Hercules Stringray card where this happens.  Usenet
> recommends pcvt as a workaround :-], do you have an idea what this
> might be, or even better, have a fix?

>From remote observation it seems to be a problem with the card not
understanding the normal VGA modetable (that the cards supplies
anyway :( ), so removing any ways to reprogram the VGA regs cures the
problem. If anybody has a spare card to send me I'll find a way to fix
it, but doing remote debugging, well, I dont have the time currently...

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..