Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 1995 11:27:00 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <fbsd@clem.systemsix.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Joystick driver available

Hello,

> adapted)...  speaking as somebody who has done multiheaded touchscreen
> implementations for Sun workstaions, I would guess that it would be somewhat

(semi-)unrelated question.  I have been thinking multiheaded display
for freeBSD/XFree86 for awhile now.  I know there is a server available
using 1 vga, 1 mono card, but I would like to have a box with
3 accelerated cards in a true multiheaded setup.

1: take several PCI vga cards, clip a couple address traces and wire
	in an inverter.  Might need to mess with several groups
	to re-address board in both io and mem spaces.

2: modify X server to probe for cards in new ranges.

3: ???

Some questions:

1: would it be necessary to hack the kernel paging code to provide
	a 'safe' area to put them into?  anyone care to venture
	possible addresses for memory and io?  would kernel mods
	be avoidable by putting these boards above 128/256(?)MB,
	and what about the io addresses?

2: what limitations are there as to caching circuits, ie. non-cachable
	memory holes, snooping, etc?

3: anyone have suggestions for specific boards that would be
	suitable for this?  I favor PCI for the full 32 bit
	address range they have.

This is a half-baked plan at best, anyone interested in cooking?

						Steve Passe
						smp@clem.systemsix.com