Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 95 16:57 WET
From:      pete@pelican.com (Pete Carah)
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: commits in the last 2 days?

In article <199503230018.QAA10753@gndrsh.aac.dev.com> you write:

For reference, I've not seen a hang here on a night-before-last kernel.
Doing a sup right now, will see :-)

>> 	How long will a make world take on a 486dx2/66?  I need to do it once
>> and get all the objects built once, from then on the dependencies should make
>> sure I only build what I need to each time, right?  Thanks.

>Ahh... not sure... I run this stuff on a P54-90 with 4 to 5MB/sec disk
>drives.  I'd guess maybe 6 to 7 hours max.

Here it's about 13.5 hrs with MAKE_EBONES and about 12.5-13.0 without.
(on an OPTI EISA dx2/66 with source tree on scsi and usr+obj on (same) ide)
(and scsi was newfs'd on 1.1.5 and runs about 700kb/sec, usr newfs'd
on 2.0/snap 2-10 and runs about 1.2MB/sec.)

>For the most part you only need to run make world once, then you should
>be able to sup/ctm/whatever and just cd /usr/src; make all install;
I usually throw depend in for good (bad?) measure; if I pay attention
to the sup output I'll only 'make install' parts of the hierarchy.

>You need to watch out if things like header files change, or other
>stange dependecies that are not handled by make all.  Library changes
>can also be tricky.

AND compiler changes like week before last.  Hope not too many more of
those at the moment.  I tend to do library changes by hand if only one
changes, then do the make all install.  Headers, or basic lib changes
and I tend to do make world...

-- Pete