Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 1997 17:12:35 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, hoek@hwcn.org
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Versioning bsd.port.mk

>But, please don't put the MK_VER_REQ file in files/, put in pkg/
>with all of everything else.  We already have pkg/MD5 which is
>totally irrelavent to packaging, so this will fit in just finely. :)

Uh, do you mean files/md5?  (which is why I suggested putting this
other requirement file in files/)

>but throwing a variable into the port Makefile
>which has nothing to do with the port itself does strike me as
>ugly.

The port Makefile is exactly what depends on bsd.port.mk, which is why
I suggested putting it there.  Using ${SH} in port Makefiles is what
started this thread.  And not every port needs it -- only ports with
complex Makefiles that use newer bsd.port.mk files - another reason to
link the requirement with the Makefile.

  Bill