Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 1995 21:12:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some Makefiles incorrectly set LDADD

> > > date/Makefile:LDADD=    -lutil
> > > mv/Makefile:LDADD=      -lutil
> > > ps/Makefile:LDADD=      -lm -lkvm
> > > rcp/Makefile:LDADD=     -lkrb -ldes
> > > sh/Makefile:LDADD=  -ll -ledit -ltermcap
> >                 ^^^
> > LDADD should not be set with a += in a Makefile unless that Makefile
> > has mutliple LDADD lines with in it.
>
> Well, then we will have no easy way to do for instance what the original
> message said, recompile everything with a particular library :-(

It is very easy to override a specific library, the problem here is that
the malloc code is burried in libc.  You could build a new libc with
the new malloc code and do this:
MAKE LIBC= /usr/lib/mylibc.a

See bsd.prog.mk, the ${LIB*} strings are all define with ?= to be
overrided easily.

Don't drive a square peg into a round hole :-) :-)