Date:      Fri, 07 May 1999 15:15:34 -0400
From:      Michael Remski <mremski@ix.netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.1-Stable etc

Hi all.  I've come over to FreeBSD about a month or two ago, after
running Linux for about 5 years.  All this about spontaneous reboots etc
are rather interesting.  One question that does not appear to have been
asked:
        Everyone who is having these reboots, did you upgrade from 2.2.X
        to 3.1-Stable?
It appears that there have been problems if one did not go from 2.2.X to
either 3.0 or 3.1-Release.  I'm not involved (yet), but that is my
observation.

I installed 3.0-Release with Linux and then when 3.1 came out, I got
that and
wiped out Linux entirely.  I've since CVSUP'd to 3.1-Stable (May 6) and
the
only problems that I've had are:
        1.  Using a PS/2 mouse under XFree, after long uptime (days), if
        exited the X-session, then restarted it, any movement of the
mouse
        would result in immediate crash of the X-Server (XF86_SVGA).
        Examination of the core file indicated a problem in the
        xf86mouseprotocol (kind of expected this).  This occured under
both
        XFree and XAccel, with moused, without moused, didn't matter.
My
        solution was to use a serial mouse, which sucks, because then I
        can't talk to my UPS.  But right now, I am back to using a PS/2
mouse
        but have flag 0x100 for the psm in the config file.  Wait and
see.

        2.  Currently, dmesg shows this:

ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 flags 0x40 on isa
ppc0: Generic chipset (EPP/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
lpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0     <----  hmm attached to lpt
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
lpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0      <----  what? again to lpt?
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port

        with the corresponding section from my config:
# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? port? flags 0x40 tty irq 7
controller      ppbus0
device          lpt0    at ppbus?

        I noticed that there are a few copies of lpt.c around:
        /usr/src/sys/dev/ppbus/lpt.c
        /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/lpt.c
        /usr/src/sys/pc98/pc98/lpt.c

Is this lpt0 duality a problem?  Does not seem to affect normal
operations.  I've
tried mucking around with the config, all I get is no printer.

The machine is a plain old Pentium-166, all SCSI, file/print server for
my
wife's Mac.

I've got good experience with the whole code/test/integration/scream in
agony
cycle, so any help I can be, let me know.

mike
--
"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike."