Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:33:04 +0400
From:      Stanislav Sedov <stas@310.ru>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which geom to use?

--Sig_xeoVbC._HefzLU+b5uus55y

=EE=C1 Sun, 9 Jul 2006 17:57:59 +0200
Paul Schenkeveld <fb-geom@psconsult.nl> =DA=C1=D0=C9=D3=C1=CE=CF:

> Hi,
>=20
> Some installations just need a lot of filesystems (e.g. systems with
> many jails) making geom_bsd a bad choice because it only supports
> 7 partitions.  So far I've been using vinum and gvinum for the task
> of dividing my disk which is also quite convinient for adding new
> partitions in so far unallocated space later on.
>=20
> On systems with mirrored disks (or RAID5) this works fine but on
> systems with a single disk this approach has a very bad consequence:
> when a disk error occurs anywhere on the disk, all subdisk and thus
> all volumes on this drive object become invalid and the system
> crashes.
>=20
> Another approach is to slice up the disk in MBR and divide each slice
> in 7 patitions with bsdlabel giving you 28 partitions to use and less
> freedom to re-allocate later on because it's a very hard job to change
> the MBR slices without doing a complete re-partitioning.
>=20
> I've heard of people putting filesystems in files using md(4) but I
> fear the performance penalty of going through a filesystem layer
> twice.
>=20
> So what would you guys recommend in this case, gpt(4)?  Or is there
> some kind of geom that does just the volume management of gvinum
> without marking all volumes down at the first media error?
>=20

I was using gpt to handle 20+ partitions on 2TB array for a long
time with success. So it's well suited for this.

--=20
Stanislav Sedov         MBSD labs, Inc.         <ssedov@mbsd.msk.ru>
=F2=CF=D3=D3=C9=D1, =ED=CF=D3=CB=D7=C1         http://mbsd.msk.ru

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.  -- A. Einstein
PGP fingerprint:  F21E D6CC 5626 9609 6CE2  A385 2BF5 5993 EB26 9581

--Sig_xeoVbC._HefzLU+b5uus55y

--Sig_xeoVbC._HefzLU+b5uus55y--