Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2012 14:43:32 +0100
From:      Matthew Rezny <mrezny@hexaneinc.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multimedia/x264 workaround is broken

On 25 Dec, 2012, at 4:49, Kubilay Kocak wrote:

> On 25/12/2012 1:55 PM, Matthew Rezny wrote:
>=20
>> The immediate question is, what was the original error that mandated =
the workaround and does that error still occur with current version of =
Clang? If the latter is no, can we get rid of the temporary workaround?
>=20
> This may help provide some answers:
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dports/171542
>=20
Thank you for the suggestion. However, the topic of that PR is disabling =
PGO to build with Clang. I had already turned off the PGO option before =
the first build attempt, and the problem I faced was the insistence upon =
calling the non-existent GCC regardless of chosen port options.

I did notice the links in the PR to redports, so perhaps you were =
suggesting I look at those for previous build error with Clang. =
Unfortunately, those links are useless, neither is a build log but =
instead a redirect to twitter. These are the second set of build logs =
that could be useful but aren't. I had first attempted to look at the =
log on the Ports and Clang wiki, but that file was on a host that is =
still down.

<RANT>
The first build log being unavailable due to a downed host is annoying. =
The second set of build logs being unavailable only had to be an =
annoyance, but it was turned into an offense with the Twitter redirect. =
That is almost as offensive as seeing mention in the announcements that =
some things will be posted on Facebook. WTF! Did someone miss their =
scheduled beating with the cluebat? The spying with Google analytics was =
bad enough, but at least that can be disabled by the client browser. =
Stuff posted on Facebook is essentially thrown away effort; not only is =
it locked away in a  non-public location, but ownership of the material =
is relinquished.
</RANT>