Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:14:37 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Changing Users groups

--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB

Hello theBIGteam,

I have a situation which I'd be glad to get some help with.
I inherited a systems where each user created belonged to a group
synonymous with their logon name. User `freebsd` belongs to the group
"freebsd" and user `wash` belongs to the group "wash"
This box has about 5k users now - meaning I have almost 5k groups in my
/etc/group!!
There (should be)are basically TWO groups in this box - "staff" and
"users", or should I say that is what I'd like it to be? This way I can be
able to enforce quotas and deal with a couple other things much more
easily. I just think it is stupid to have a group file that grows by the
addition of a new user....

We have about 50 staff accounts and I guess I can handle the group change
for them manually since I know them all by name. It is the other 5K
users who greatly wory me.

So What I'd like to do is to (re)assign accounts on this box to just 2 grou=
ps.=20
I could handle this quite easily by a simple shell script that would reassi=
gn=20
uid:gid to the files in /home and but when it comes to the passwd files, I =
am=20
thoroughly stumped. I am not a shell script expert by any chance ;)

I could come up with a simple one that would appropriately handle the
renaming (chown -R uid:$GROUP) for all those files in /home, then later
come and manually change those belonging to staff to $GROUP2 but how would
I handle the entries in the passwd files?

The steps involved in mangling such a script sound like the reinvention of
a know wheel, no? Would it be possible that someone already did this and
may be willing to share their experience/resources??

MTIA

PLS: Could someone (not Winblows-based MUA users) also tell me if my
e-mail reaches them as an attachment. I use mutt with Gnupg but some
Windows users have always complained that they get my mail only as an
attachment. Of course they do not even bother to have those FREE decoders
to help them. It would be a _big_ concern if other MUAs also see my e-mail
in the same light as those WIN32 clients.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

I was drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows, they learned to swim.=20
-U2=20

--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB

--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB--