Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 23:55:23 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@noc.dfn.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Termination question

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 13:37:09 +0200, Jens Schweikhardt wrote:

> hello, world\n
>
> just a quick question if my understanding is right: I've got an ASUS
> P2L97-S mobo with on-board SCSI. It has both 50 and 68 pin connectors
> and I'm having at least one device on each of them. I have terminated
> the last device on the 50 pin cable, put an active terminator plug at
> the end of the 68 pin cable and disabled termination of the host
> adapter. Everything works so far, but I want to be sure that's the Right
> Thing (TM).

Actually, you probably want to enable high-byte termination if the onboard
SCSI BIOS has that option.

The reason is that you've got the lower 8 data bits terminated at both ends
of the bus, which is correct, but you only have the upper 8 bits terminated
on the end with the active terminator.  You'll want to terminate the upper
8 bits on the adapter as well, since they don't pass through to the end of
the 50-pin cable.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry