Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 2003 14:17:13 -0500
From:      Bruce Campbell <bruce@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
To:        MikeM <zlists@mgm51.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem on 1TB filesystem RAID 5 3ware

Some more test results:

22 Mar 2003 - test with RAID 5 with 4 * WD 200GB with Write Cache disabled
*succeeded*. Write Cache can be disabled through the 3ware BIOS, or the 3ware
web management tool. Raw write performance to the array dropped from
30000KBytes/Second to 4500KBytes/Second, however this did not impact the test
significantly, as the test involved copying data via an NFS mount on a 100
MBit/second network. The effective speed of the NFS copy dropped from around
5000 KBytes/Second to about 4500 KBytes/Second with Write Cache disabled.

Thread here:

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/mail_archive/200211/msg00056.html

suggests firmware/driver mismatches can cause trouble, and someone
else who had trouble found turning off write cache fixed it.

All my info on this problem being kept here:

http://www.freebsd.uwaterloo.ca/twiki/bin/view/Freebsd/BackupServerProblem

Quoting MikeM <zlists@mgm51.com>:
> Jim King <jim@jimking.net> wrote:
>
> >Which tells me that all of the work in the last year has been
> >maintenance related to changes within FreeBSD itself, and not any
> >updates for 3Ware functionality, e.g no support for firmware 7.5.x
> >on the 7000 series controllers, and no support for the 8000 series
> >controllers.
>

> If the above is true, perhaps the hardware guide should be modified.  It
> currently says that the 3Ware 7000 series is supported.
>
> I, for one, purchased a 3Ware controller for my FreeBSD server based upon
> the misleading hardware guide.

Bruce Campbell
Engineering Computing
CPH-2374B