Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:09:40 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "John Murphy" <freebsd001@freeode.co.uk>
Cc:        malcolm_green@tiscali.co.uk, Gnome list <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make gnome2 fails because evince has vulnerability

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:52:31 -0500, John Murphy <freebsd001@freeode.co.u=
k>  =

wrote:

> malcolm_green@tiscali.co.uk wrote:
>
>> Dear freebsd-gnome team
>>    May I enquire of you about a problem when doing make install
>> in /usr/ports/x11/gnome2 under PCBSD 1.4RC. It fails saying
>> evince has a vulnerability. I have followed the advice output by
>> the make and used kports to update the ports, fetch a new index,
>> and update the ports-db. Upon re-issuing make install I get the
>> same error. Now I am unsure what to do. Surely the make install
>> script should not refuse to continue building but merely issue a
>> warning. There must be a way to prevent this blowup, but the whole
>> ports system is like a empty cube in space to a relatively new
>> BSD person.
>>
>> I can see that one way to avoid it would be to get a new evince,
>> but kports says my copy is the latest.
>> The ports I am using is supplied on the PCBSD CD so I dont know when
>> it dates from, and in any case I have updated the ports tree with
>> kports.
>
>> Perhaps there is a good document I should read.
>
> <- Snipped screen output (mine is the same as yours. See below.) ->
>
> Hi Malcolm,
>
> No solution, but just wanted to say I have the same problem on
> FreeBSD-6.2. I've run csup and portupgrade -arR. I've run the
> gnomelogalyzer.sh from within /usr/ports/x11/gnome2 and checked
> all of its suggestions. (The recommended mailing list archive
> search showed no results for evince or [k|x]pdf in 2007! I get
> the impression Rambler isn't updated much these days...).
>
> The only thing I haven't tried (and I'm loath to do so as I
> doubt it will help) is 'pkg_delete -rf pkg-config\*'.
>
> The reference URL:
>
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/portaudit/0e43a14d-3f3f-11dc-a79a-0016179=
b2dd5.html

> mentions xpdf and kpdf. Do you have either of those installed?
> I have kpdf and I'm wondering if the problem is because of that.
>
> Any suggestions from the port maintainers (or clues from anyone)
> would be much appreciated.

It has been fixed, someone has added evince as vulnerability by mistake.=
  =

The evince doesn't has any of pdf source code in its tarball. It depends=
  =

on poppler and poppler has been marked as safe (patched) a while ago.

Cheers,
Mezz

> [root@turion gnome2]# make install
<snip>
> =3D=3D=3D>   gnome2-2.18.3 depends on executable: evince - not found
> =3D=3D=3D>    Verifying install for evince in /usr/ports/graphics/evin=
ce
> =3D=3D=3D>  evince-0.8.3_1 has known vulnerabilities:
> =3D> xpdf -- stack based buffer overflow.
>    Reference:  =

> <http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/portaudit/0e43a14d-3f3f-11dc-a79a-001617=
9b2dd5.html>
> =3D> Please update your ports tree and try again.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/evince.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnome2.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnome2.

-- =

mezz7@cox.net  -  mezz@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome/  -  gnome@FreeBSD.org
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia@FreeBSD.org