Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 02:31:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Ken Brownfield <kenb@irridia.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Disk I/O crushes Ethernet I/O (3.0R)

Hello, I hope this is the appropriate list for this type of question.
Tons of web/mailing list searches haven't turned up anything useful.

I'm currently running 3.0R on the following hardware:

SuperMicro P6DLE
Dual P2/233, 340MB RAM
12GB IDE drive
Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B on 10BT network

During periods of disk activity (copying a large file, etc.) all
network traffic virtually comes to a halt.  If I run the cp during
an FTP file transfer, my network transfer rate is dropped by about
80%.  Other network services suffer the same massive packet
deprivation.

Any sustained disk access will cause it, and all network transfers
(in and out) are effected.  The outage starts and stops exactly
when the cp (or other access) starts and stops.

This doesn't seem to be an MBUF problem, and I haven't been able
to find a specific mention of this sort of problem.  Is this
something inherent with the kernel, the IDE driver, the fxp driver,
or FreeBSD's SMP implementation?  Or is this most likely an IRQ
conflict or bad IRQ choice for the ether card?

I plan on upgrading to 3.1R soon, so IRQ twiddling will be possible.

If anyone has any insight I would _greatly_ appreciate it.  I'll
summarize if necessary.

Thanks,
--
Ken Brownfield