Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 17:45:52 +0200
From:      Bart_van_Leeuwen@doosys.com
To:        Michael Williams <mgwilliams@newsouth.com>
Cc:        owner-freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Script kiddies and port 12345

Of course it would be interesting to hear about any new vulnerabilities in
NT and products running on it... Using the existance of specific
vulnerabilites however is often a very bad argument pro or against any
platform.
Known vulenrabilities that are left exploitable by a vendor, bad
information about existance of such vulnerabiliies, and the actual efford
of a vendor to prevent such vulnerabilities might be much better arguments.
After all, no piece of software is 100% free from such things, and pointing
blindly to vulnerabilities in other products is something that is quite
likely to work against you.
Just my opinion of course.. ;-)

Bart van Leeuwen.

mailto:Bart_van_Leeuwen@doosys.com
http://www.doosys.com/

mailto:bart@ixori.demon.nl
http://www.ixori.demon.nl/

                    Michael Williams
                    <mgwilliams@newsouth.com        To:     security@FreeBSD.ORG
                    >                               cc:
                    Sent by:                        Subject:     Re: Script kiddies and port 12345
                    owner-freebsd-security@F
                    reeBSD.ORG

                    03-10-2000 17:12

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Justin Stanford wrote:

> More than likely they are just looking for open shares on the SMB port
> (139) and netbus servers on port 12345 - this is more within the reach
and
> ability of the average kiddie and is as common and occurence as dried
> fruit :-)

Yes, true.  But if someone popped up with a new vulnerability for SMS
(which runs on port 12345 on -our- network's NT machines, but I'm not an
NT admin, so I don't know whether that's default), it would be neat.  I
like anything that supports the cause of BSD over Windows.  :)

Regards,
Michael Williams