Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 2003 01:38:39 +0100
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4.8 ipfilter ruleset compatibility question

Paranoia rules so my outside interface is currently down while I discover
what has changed to cause an ipfilter ruleset which worked fine under
IP Filter: v3.4.20 to be wide open without logging (apparently) with =
v3.4.31.

I've upgraded from 4.4 to 4.8 release by re-installation and then =
copying:
/etc/rc.conf and the usual others from the old drive to the new.  =
Including
the old, previously working, ipf.rules and ipnat.rules.

Everything worked except /var/log/ipf.log remained 0bytes for far too =
long.
top said ipmon was running.  The /var/log/messages indications of ipf =
startup
compare favourably:

Apr  1 22:01:42 wall /kernel: IP Filter: v3.4.20 initialized.  Default =3D=
 pass all, Logging =3D enabled

Apr  6 22:05:37 wall /kernel: IP Filter: v3.4.31 initialized.  Default =3D=
 pass all, Logging =3D enabled

A <cough> GRC scan showed ports scanned as closed, which is ok but =
ipf.log =3D 0
and I need "stealth" and logs!

I changed the first rule from:
# Block all incoming packets on the external interface, and log them.
block in log on ed0 all
block in log quick on ed0 all

Now a GRC scan indicates "stealth" and the log file has come alive with =
the
usual noise.  ipnat still works?

I'm convinced there's no rule which overrides the first and passes =
everything
without logging, so has something drastically changed to cause this?

Not sure if it's related but I've just tried top again:
wall# top
top: nlist failed

John.