Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2001 13:32:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Holtor <holtor@yahoo.com>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   md5?

Hi All,

How do I make my system use MD5 by default when
adding users? I had this in my /etc/make.conf
NODESCRYPTLINKS=true
But this no longer works after my last make world.
So after reading the lists I put
passwd_format=md5 into /etc/login.conf and rebuilt
that and still no luck.

adduser still adds users with a DES password which
only
gets swapped to MD5 if they change the password after
they login.

I assume I could just fix the symlinks in /usr/lib
manually but that doesn't seem like the correct
solution.

Any suggestions on a solution for this? I hate DES.

Holt G.