Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 14:53:06 -0400
From:      Brad Karp <karp@eecs.harvard.edu>
To:        bryan@yahoo-inc.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  memory corruption?

> i also sometimes get these messages about wd0:
>   fegmania /kernel: wd0: interrupt timeout:
>  fegmania /kernel: wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 1<no_dam>

I posted a note to freebsd-mobile about similar messages a few weeks ago.

I was getting these messages along with _long_ disk timeouts--like two
minutes or more.

And the problem only worsened.

In the end, surmising a dying disk, I exchanged the laptop (an IBM 380).

I've had the new one for over a week now, and it's not given me a single
timeout message or long disk timeout. (Whereas the old one gave me both
several times per hour.)

So at least for me, the wd0 timeout messages _did_ indicate a bad disk.
Seems to me there could be many reasons for the messages other than a bad
disk, though.

Just a data point...

-Brad, karp@eecs.harvard.edu