Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2000 15:10:39 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual boot - FreeBSD 3.4-R/Solaris 8

On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 08:28:55PM +0100, Dutch Collins wrote:
> Has anyone tried to setup a dual boot, FreeBSD 3.4-R and Solaris 8. I
> would like to tinker with my 'free' Solaris on a 486/100. I am
> thinking of; a) two partitions on a single drive, b) BSD on wd0 and
> Solaris on wd2.
>
> OR, I am crazy.

You may be crazy. I was thinking of putting Slowlaris on a Pentium (no
pro or numbers), but when I looked at the "supported hardware[0]"
list at Sun I was not encouraged. The lowest end chip I recall was
P-MMX 200[1].

I don't know if Solaris will run on a 486... or if it does if it would
even be usable.

ObFreeBSD: I don't know how the Solaris boot works on i386, so I can't
help with the dual boot.

[0] Actually a compatible or "successfully attempted on" list. The
URL,

  http://soldc.sun.com/support/drivers/hcl/index.html#S8

[1] Does such a beast even exist? 200 MHz plain Pentiums?