Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 11:57:14 +0100
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
To:        "Stephen A. Derdau" <sderdau@xtdl.com>
Cc:        listuser <listuser@h2o.journey.net>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internet providers discouraging customers from unix

At 16:22 12/06/97 -0400, Stephen A. Derdau wrote:
>Is this true,  " Mac is suppose to base their next version of their
>OS on a more Unix like plateform?   If so I think it will be the best
>thing they can do right now........not really a techy here.  But enjoy
>learning this stuff. :)

The next version of MacOS will be based around the NeXT Mach kernel (always
supposing Apple survives the next year without going bust). They've planted
the Mac [78].* API on top, but are hoping developers will migrate to the new
"Yellow Box" API. I guess that if they get it right & get developer support
that it'll be a big step up for them. I don't see any sign that there'll be
a command line interface to Mach however...

All this stuff is ad nauseam on www.apple.com. You might try a little
surfing to learn the gory details... 8-)

Robin.

Robin Melville, Addiction & Forensic Information Service
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team (Extn. 49178)
Vox: +44 (0)115 952 9478  Fax: +44 (0)115 952 9421
Email: robmel@nadt.org.uk
WWW:   http://www.innotts.co.uk/nadt/