Date:      Mon, 04 Sep 2000 14:38:06 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Daan Franke <daan@websilon.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A sick little box

On 9/4/00, 1:20:35 PM, Daan Franke <daan@websilon.nl> wrote regarding A =

sick little box:

> Hi,

> I have a box here at work doing natd services for my company. It works=
=20
fine
> but suddenly reboots out of nowhere with no appearant reason or
> circumstances. The logs say nothing about the reboot except that it=20
isn't
> done with the proper sequence.
> I also tried to recompile my kernel but that was a no go because of=20
this
> error on the make depend (it also gives this error on the GENERIC=20
kernel)
> I get this error message:

> =3D=3D=3D> agp
> @ -> /usr/src/sys
> machine -> /usr/src/sys/i386/include
> make: don't know how to make agp_if.c. Stop
> *** Error code 2

> Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
> *** Error code 1

> Stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/GBL.

> My theories are limited because of the lack of messages I get from=20
logs and
> such.
> Im looking for reasons why this would happen.

> Info of box:
>       pII 350
>       256 MB of RAM
>       SCSI HD
>       ATAPI CD-ROM
>       FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE

> Thanks for reading this and if you want, reply.

> Daan Franke
> System Engineer

Dear Daan Franke,

In a good number of such cases, the culprit turns out to be bad=20
hardware: bad RAM, bad cache, inadequate cooling, etc. A careful=20
investigation will spot any bad harware.

As far as your build errors are concerned, I may be completely wrong,=20
but I am afraid that, after cvsup'ing your sources, you have not=20
followed the instructions found in /usr/src/UPDATING. The kernel build=20
procedure, in that specific case (after cvsup'ing), changed a couple=20
of months ago.

HTH,
Salvo