Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 19:09:49 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   runningbufspace deadlock problem on -stable

I have one -stable production PC164 machine with the problem that
runningbufspace increases over time.
The box is running cvsup.de.freebsd.org and therefor has some load
on the disks.
runningbufspace should measure the IO load and give preference
for sync and read transactions over async transactions.
With that problem the machine deadlocks after some time.
The problem isn't reproduceable on my stable toybox (NoName) at home and
difficult to debug on the box it happens to me because it's remote.
Neither is the problem reproduceable on any i386 or alpha -current box.

I recently noted that it also happens on axp0.freebsd.org:
[5]axp0> sysctl vfs.runningbufspace
vfs.runningbufspace: 120832
[6]axp0> sysctl vfs.runningbufspace
vfs.runningbufspace: 120832
[7]axp0> sysctl vfs.runningbufspace
vfs.runningbufspace: 120832
[8]axp0> sysctl vfs.runningbufspace
vfs.runningbufspace: 120832
[9]axp0> sysctl vfs.runningbufspace
vfs.runningbufspace: 120832
[10]axp0> sysctl vfs.runningbufspace
vfs.runningbufspace: 120832
[11]axp0> sysctl vfs.runningbufspace
vfs.runningbufspace: 120832

The value should return to 0 when the box is IO idle.

If someone sees this problems on a local machine I would be happy.
I have some patches here adding assertions which I want to avoid
trying on my production machine.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de