Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:10:26 GMT
From:      Parv <parv@pair.com>
To:        freebsd-ports-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/73404: shells/ksh93 - notify option + output redirected to nonexistent file cause crash w/ segfault

The following reply was made to PR ports/73404; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Parv <parv@pair.com>
To: Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 05:01:13 -0500

 in message <1102483426.616.148.camel@zircon.zircon.seattle.wa.us>,
 wrote Joe Kelsey thusly...

 > On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 23:56 -0500, Parv wrote:
 > > in message <1102478713.616.140.camel@zircon.zircon.seattle.wa.us>,
 > > wrote Joe Kelsey thusly...
 > > >
 > > > Unfortunately, you do not present enough information for me to
 > > > actually reporduce your problem.
 > > > If you can give me an actual command line which causes the
 > > > problem, then maybe I can attempt to debug the problem.  Simply
 > > > stating that you invoke it from bash really is not helpful.
 > >
 > > The PR has everything in it.  Yes, simply invoking from another
 > > (interactive) shell does not cause crash, only under a particular
 > > situation.
 > >
 > > To reiterate & rephrase,  edit "~/.profile" to have ...
 > >
 > >   ENV="${HOME}/.kshrc-segfault"
 > >   export ENV
 > >   rm -f initially-nonexistent-file
 > >   > initially-nonexistent-file &
 >
 > What effect do you expect the redirection with & to have?  Why
 > exactly do you use this particular idiom?  It does not make any
 > sense to me.  Do you really mean to actually use exec with
 > redirection?

 No, i did not mean to use exec along w/ redirection.  Above could just
 as well had echo command prefixed that sent some text to a file which
 may or may not exist or could actually be a named pipe.

 As i had expressed in my PR,  the code given is/was the minimum
 example that i could muster to show the crash.

 In actual usage, i would like to be able to send some messages to a
 regular file -- which may or may not exist initially -- or a named
 pipe, in ksh93 too not just in bash, while the shell is going through
 its initialization w/o crashing.

 > Do you expect the above redirection to have some other
 > effect instead of just redirecting the following exec?

 If you mean this exec usage ...

 > >   exec $0

 ... then ...

 No, i do not expect anything unusal that does not already happen
 besides the crash.

 I expect the redirection (in the example code given) to either create
 a non existing file or truncate the already existing file in
 background.

 I expect above quoted exec to execute the shell in which ~/.profile
 was sourced.

 > Also, why do you feel the need to put this in a .profile?  Does
 > naming the script file .profile serve any purpose?

 They are in ~/.profile because ksh93 reads it during initialization,
 which i have stated above.

 > Does putting it in some different file make any difference?

 I have not tried but that would be like putting what goes in .profile
 in another file AND sourcing that file inside the .profile.

   - Parv