Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:28:22 +0200
From:      "Steven Swart" <steven@inloco.co.za>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD not recognising network card

Hi all

Although not exactly a newbie to FreeBSD, I have been pulling
my hair out over an installation that I have been doing. I have
installed 5.2.1-RELEASE on a machine I inherited. I know all
the hardware is fine because it was running Windows NT Workstation
when I got it.

Opening the case reveals a PCI network card. On the card chip is
written 'Madge K2 RingRunner', which is the only identification I have
for this piece of hardware.

My problem is that the FreeBSD installer does not pick up any ethernet
cards. The only network interfaces I can configure are the loopback
interface and the SLIP/PPP interfaces for the COM ports.

I have read Chapter 6.8 'Setting Up Network Interface Cards' in the
FreeBSD Handbook which tells me to look in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT
for a list of network interfaces. No LINT file exists in this path. The
other
thing the Handbook advises is loading the kernel module for the driver
with kldload, something I have tried without success, firstly because I
don't know which kernel modules are network drivers and secondly, the
ones I did try to load gave me an 'Already Loaded' message.

One last thing I tried was to run UserConfig, the boot time kernel
configurator. Previous versions of FreeBSD I have installed had
a device driver selection utility, configured via a text based menu system.
It appears to be missing in 5.2.1. I created a file /boot.config, with one
line
'0:ad(0,a)/kernel -c'. This does not run UserConfig, I only succeed in
locking myself into the boot program, with no idea how to get the OS
to boot.

One line from my dmesg output that may provide a clue:
pci0: <network, token ring> at device 9.0 (no driver attached)

I know this seems like a rank newbie post but any assistance would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Steven

---