Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 1999 09:03:34 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Ken Brownfield <kenb@irridia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk I/O crushes Ethernet I/O (3.0R)

Ken Brownfield wrote:

> [snip]
>
> SuperMicro P6DLE
> Dual P2/233, 340MB RAM
> 12GB IDE drive
> Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B on 10BT network
>
> During periods of disk activity (copying a large file, etc.) all
> network traffic virtually comes to a halt.  If I run the cp during
> an FTP file transfer, my network transfer rate is dropped by about
> 80%.  Other network services suffer the same massive packet
> deprivation.

Are you using DMA with the IDE drive? (and are you _sure_ your using DMA with
the IDE drive? :)

> This doesn't seem to be an MBUF problem, and I haven't been able
> to find a specific mention of this sort of problem.  Is this
> something inherent with the kernel, the IDE driver, the fxp driver,
> or FreeBSD's SMP implementation?  Or is this most likely an IRQ
> conflict or bad IRQ choice for the ether card?

I have a similar setup here (Dual P-Pro, 256Mb RAM, fxp0, IDE + SCSI). The IDE
drives suck, even with DMA etc. - they're no match for 'decent' SCSI drives
(but they are cheap). They're OK for 'straight line speed', but I find for
multi-process access/heavy loads SCSI wins hands down (if only for the fact
most decent SCSI drives have >512k cache + faster spindle speeds).

I've noticed FreeBSD's SMP implementation is a bit choppy sometimes, but not
to that extent... Of course there could just be simple maths involved, if you
only have 1 hard drive, and your doing a CP (from itself to iteself?) and then
ftp a file to/from that same drive, 3 into 1 isn't going to fit at any
reasnably speed... :)

-Kp