Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 04:03:22 -0500
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        Jud <judmarc@earthlink.net>
Cc:        consultant4hire@hotmail.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GRUB problems (dual-boot FreeBSD + Mandrake)

At 01:39 2001/12/22 -0500, Jud wrote:
>Scott wrote
> > >
> > >Firstly, however, it should all be numeric, such as (hd1,1)  etc.  So,
> > >assuming you have BSD on the first partition of the second drive
> > >Title FreeBSD 4.4.
> > >rootnoverify (hd1,1)
> > >chainloader +1
> >

> > OOOPS---far too late at night, sorry about that.
> > Should be
> > rootnoverify (hd1,0)    (if it was the first partition on the 2nd hard
> drive)
> >
> > VERY sorry
> > Scott Robbins
>
>Interesting.  Just installed the grub port tonight, and a slightly
>different config works nicely on my slightly different system.
>I've got one disk, with W2K on the first partition and FreeBSD on
>the second.  Here's a piece of my /boot/grub/menu.lst file:
>
>title W2K
>root (hd0,0)
>makeactive
>chainloader +1
>
>title FreeBSD
>root (hd0,1,a)
>kernel /boot/loader
>
>I wonder if something as simple as substituting "root (hd1,0,a)"
>in the FreeBSD section would work in Paul's situation?

Now that IS interesting.  When I read up on Grub, which would have been 6-8
months ago, letters weren't listed as a possibility---when I first tried
FreeBSD, did a bit of searching on deja, and saw that people were having
success with the simple chainloader +1, so I tried it and it worked.  (As I
said, it also works with Solaris.)

I'm going to have to try that and see if it also works.  :)
(not sure if this is going to make it to the list, due to some
peculiarities with RoadRunner's setup, so if not, please feel free to cc
the list.

Scott Robbins