Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 04:06:55 +0200 (EET)
From:      Penisoara Adrian <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Opinion on LS-120 devices ?

Hi,

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, The Classiest Man Alive wrote:

> <i>Moved to Hardware from Questions and Hackers...<br>
> </i>Problems doesn't begin to describe it, pal.<br>
> Point blank, the drives were not much faster than a floppy.&nbsp; Playing
> Duke Nukem 3-D off one of them was Frame Rate Hell.&nbsp; (That same game
> is lovely off a SCSI zip drive, though.)&nbsp; The worst thing about the

 Oh, I wouldn't expect at all to play games directly from the disk...

> drive I used was that it would only recognize a standard floppy as a 1.39
> MB disk.&nbsp; This prevented the boot disk creator in FreeBSD from

 Where did you get this number, in the Win95's Explorer or DOS/FreeBSD ?
In the former case I believe it's normal, even the real 1.44Mb's have
1.39Mb free reported under Win95, but in the latter...

> working at all.&nbsp; The odd thing is that in contrast, the LS-120 media
> are actually 120 MB as opposed to the 120 million bytes that most
> manufacturers use.<br>

 Well, 120 * 1024 * 1024 bytes are much butter than 120 * 1000 * 1000
bytes anyway...

 About the FBSD bootloader, did you have problems with both the 1.44Mb and
120Mb medias or just with the 120Mb media ? (In the 120Mb case it might be
from the non-standard format)

> Even getting this recognized was a nightmare.&nbsp; My recommendation is

 Exactly what problems did you encounter here and what OSes ? This is very
important for me.

> to avoid these drives.&nbsp; They're a good idea that's just not ready
> for prime time, and zip drives seem to be working just fine.<br>

 Well, don't be so sure, did you hear about those rumours about "Click of
Death" regarding Iomega's drives ? I haven't read them but the stories are
(still ?) available at www.cnet.com.

> K.S.<br>

 Thank you very much.
 Ady (@warpnet.ro)