Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 2004 16:05:54 -0400
From:      Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3@grant.org>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How does CAM determine the order to number drives ?

Yes, I know this situation all to well.  In my case, I ended up
physically plugging and unplugging drives until they ended up in the
right place.

I would sure love to see a way to fix a drive to an identifier.  This
has to be the one thing that has wasted more of my time than anything
else in freebsd.  For example, when I had a drive die on me a couple
months back, when the machine rebooted, the dead drive still in the
system, da2 became da1 and things just did not work well.

If someone knows of a way to tie physical drives to the nodes in /dev,
please let me know.  I've heard that this auto drive numbering
is a bios "feature" which is impossible to get around.

Michael Grant