Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 22:42:38 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Stefan `Sec` Zehl <sec@pi.musin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dial on demand & hangup

Stefan `Sec` Zehl writes:
>Hi,
>
>I just upgraded our test-isdn box from 2.2-STABLE & bisdntest-3 to
>3.1-STABLE and i4b. I must say that I'm happy to see how easy everything
>got. It was really easy to set up (compared to bisdn). A big thank you
>to everybody who made i4b what it is now.
>
>One small problem (which we already had in bisdn) still remains.
>
>I use syncppp via the isp0 device. If I use dial on demand (ifconfig
>isp0 link1). It dials at the sign of the first packet, like it should.
>However it doesn't hangup, which I think is because the remote end
>'lcp-ping's us every now and then.
>
>isp0 ifconfig'd with debug says:
>
>isp0: lcp input(opened): <echo-req id=0x15 len=12 74-b3-b1-b3-00-02-9b-a3>
>isp0: lcp output <echo-reply id=0x15 len=12 74-b3-b1-b3-00-02-9b-a3>
>
>every 20 seconds or so.
>
>Is there a way to make automatic hangup work (easily) with i4b?

Not as long as there is traffic being exchanged. That will continously
reset the timer in the kernel so that the idle hangup timeout will never
be triggered. The timer is (indirectly) set in i4b_bchan.c and i4b_hscx.c
by calling the bch_activity routine. This actually points at routines in
i4b_ipr.c, i4b_isppp.c, i4b_rbch.c or i4b_tel.c. The respective routines
basically set the last_active_time timer to the current time. The
last_active_time timer is the heart of the idle timeout routine.

The timer is updated at such a low level that there is no easy way of
circumventing it. ANY traffic on the B-channel, incoming or outgoing,
resets the timer. Well, there is 1 one exception, but it does not apply
to isppp (or ipr or tel).

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de