Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2012 20:42:52 -0700
From:      Taylor <j.freebsd-zfs@enone.net>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS extra space overhead for ashift=12 vs ashift=9 raidz2 pool?

Alex,

I think you are correct. It occurred to me some time after reading your =
original email that the sector size problem
could also be applied to the metadata for the filesystem as well as the =
data. As I previously stated, the overhead
of the filesystem goes from 2.59% to 8.06% when increasing sector size =
from 512B to 4KiB , which is an increase of 3.11x,
well in line with your 8x observation. Likewise this thread also seems =
to confirm that lots of the metadata takes up
< 512B and there is no real attempts to optimize this for 4K sector =
size:
=
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2011-October/049959.html=

I ended up using 512B sector size for the array since I valued the extra =
space more than the extra bandwidth. :)=20

Thanks again for your response,

-Taylor

On Apr 2, 2012, at 4:37 AM, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> Quoting Taylor <j.freebsd-zfs@enone.net> (from Sat, 24 Mar 2012 =
11:41:20 -0700):
>=20
>> Alex,
>>=20
>> Thank you for your response. I'm not particularly concerned about the =
overhead of file fragmentation,
>> as most of the space will be take by fairly large files (10's of =
GiB).
>>=20
>> My original question concerned the amount of space reported available =
by zfs for a
>> freshly-created *empty* raidz2 filesystem.
>>=20
>> To re-iterate, I find 2.79TiB  more space available with ashift=3D9 =
(49.62 TiB) vs ashift=3D12 (46.83TiB)
>> for a new 3.64TiB 16-disk raidz2 pool.
>=20
> I do not know for the actual amount, but at least some overhead is not =
surprising to me.
>=20
> You have some meta data in ZFS (file permissions, ACLs, checksums, =
...). This meta data should be more often much less than 4k in size, but =
you need to allocate at least one block for this meta data. If we assume =
(worst case) that most of the time the meta data would fit into 512 byte =
but you always use a 4k sector, it should be clear that you use 8 times =
more space on the disk for each meta data unit, than necessary.
>=20
> Bye,
> Alexander.
>=20
> --=20
> Let me put it this way: today is going to be a learning experience.
>=20
> http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D =
B0063FE7