Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:01:04 +0200
From:      Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@comm.uni-bremen.de>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PLEASE HELP: Problem backing up multiple filesystems on tape

On Thursday 27 September 2001 2:20 pm, Bill Moran wrote:
> Mark Rowlands wrote:
> > dump -0 -a -f /dev/nrsa0 /var
>
> <SNIP>
>
> > so it works here  - minus that funny little "c" option  :-
> >      -c      Change the defaults for use with a cartridge tape drive,
> > with a density of 8000 bpi, and a length of 1700 feet.
>
> I don't use the -c option myself, but you don't have to use the -d option?
> mt shows the DAT I use to be 61000bpi, which is not the default at all ;)
> Is there another way to change the default bpi without using the -d switch?

It is my understanding....given that I use a dlt drive with hardware
compression and a variable block-size that :-

  -a      ``auto-size''.  Bypass all tape length considerations, and
             enforce writing until an end-of-media indication is returned.
             This fits best for most modern tape drives.  Use of this option
             is particularly recommended when appending to an existing tape,
             or using a tape drive with hardware compression (where you can
             never be sure about the compression ratio).

is appropriate for my situation

However, if you " know" the tape capacity :=

     -B records
             The number of 1 KB blocks per volume.  This option overrides the
             calculation of tape size based on length and density.

--
You know you're a little fat if you have stretch marks on your car.
		-- Cyrus, Chicago Reader 1/22/82