Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2017 21:42:35 +0300
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@passap.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lagg eth+WiFi configuration - works but not "by the book"

19.07.2017 18:16, Valeri Galtsev пишет:
> Dear Experts,
>
> I run FreeBSD on my laptop for a couple of years at least, but finally I
> decided to climb off the tree, and configure networking right. Namely:
> make a single configuration, and have it using wired connection when
> available, and wireless when disconnected from wired network. Lagg with
> failover from wired to wireless seems to be right thing, so I followed
> brilliant FreeBSD handbook:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-aggregation.html
>
> Which never worked for me (WiFi claimed authentication failure), even
> though each of connections enabled one at a time worked well.

Recently there was a similar discussion at freebsd-current@ ML with
subject "Failover Mode Between Ethernet and Wireless Interfaces broken
on >= 11".

> I have found workaround: Instead of starting wlan0 with MAC address of
> wired adapter as described in handbook, I did the opposite and started
> wired interface with MAC address of wireless, then created lagg, - did the
> rest by the book. Which works nicely, I'll paste my /etc/rc.conf below in
> case someone has trouble I had.
>
> I wonder what I was doing wrong when I followed the handbook and it didn't
> work for me. Any obvious "pilot error"?
>

> Here is relevant portion of my working /etc/rc.conf (with obfuscated MAC
> address, note that MAC address I start wired card with 70:18:8b:XX:XX:XX
> is MAC address that WiFi card has):
>
> ifconfig
> wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> 	ether 70:18:8b:XX:XX:XX
>
> cat /etc/rc.conf
> ifconfig_em0="up"
> ifconfig_em0="ether 70:18:8b:XX:XX:XX"
> wlans_ath0="wlan0"
> ifconfig_wlan0="WPA"
> create_args_wlan0="country US"
> cloned_interfaces="lagg0"
> ifconfig_lagg0="up laggproto failover laggport em0 laggport wlan0 DHCP"

You didn't show the configuration that failed to work for you. I use
almost configuration as at the Handbook but the line after the
"create_args_wlan0" line:
---
ifconfig_wlan0=up
---