Date:      Wed, 02 Jun 1999 23:56:16 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Clark Joel A1C AMC CSS <Joel.Clark@scott.af.mil>
Cc:        "'net@freebsd.org'" <net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Routers and such

Clark Joel A1C AMC CSS wrote:

> When does a router become necessary?  I assume since our private TCP/IP
> works fine (firewall, natd, etc), that it isn't always necessary.

A router is necessary when the machine you're using becomes to slow
to handle the load.  There's no reason why you can't just grab another
FreeBSD machine and build a router on it.  Even a P100 can easily keep
up with DSL, Cable Modem, or T1 speeds.  ISDN or analog modems are no
problem, as long as you get good serial ports.