Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:21:44 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        "Andy [Tecc Nops]" <andy@tecc.co.uk>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dual boot pain

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

* Andy [Tecc Nops] <andy@tecc.co.uk> [20010611 17:18]: writing on the subje=
ct 'dual boot pain'
Andy> Hi all
Andy>=20
Andy> OK, trying to get a machine to dual boot
Andy> FreeBSD 4.3 and W2K. I have two IDE drives.
Andy> The pri drive has W2k loaded and the sec drive
Andy> is fBSD. I've tried everything to get this
Andy> machine to dual boot. Install fbsd then w2k,
Andy> then w2k/fbsd, diff partitions, diff drives
Andy> with no success. I've frantically searched
Andy> lists/web docs but nothing seems to work.
Andy>=20
Andy> Here's my current boot.ini fyi.....
Andy>=20
Andy> [boot loader]
Andy> timeout=3D30
Andy> default=3Dmulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
Andy> [operating systems]
Andy> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT=3D"Microsoft Windows 2000
Andy> Professional" /fastdetect
Andy> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)=3D"FreeBSD Unix"
Andy> C:\boot0 =3D "FreeBSD 4.2 0"
Andy> C:\boot1 =3D "FreeBSD 4.2 1"
Andy> C:\boot2 =3D "FreeBSD 4.2 2"
Andy>=20
Andy> I copied the bootX files from the CDROM #2 disk
Andy> from /boot to c:\
Andy>=20
Andy> Also, if I tell bios to boot C,A,SCSI then W2k
Andy> loads (with the boot options from boot.ini above
Andy> but none of the specified fbsd options work,
Andy> machine just says either "boot error" or
Andy> "PRESS ANY KEY TO REBOOT". However, if I
Andy> tell bios to boot D,A,SCSI the fbsd boots
Andy> normally. In a sane world I would be happy
Andy> with this solution however the W2k is for use
Andy> by "none" *nix people so I'd much rather the
Andy> boot loader system works.
Andy>=20
Andy> Anyone any ideas?

Did you say "YES" to install the boot manager when you were installing
FreeBSD?

Install Winblows, then Install FreeBSD and accept to install the boot
manager. That has always worked for me, regardless of the version of
Winblows  ;-)

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

Do not keep saying to yourself, if you can possibly avoid it, 'But how can =
it=20
be like that?' because you will get 'down the drain,' into a blind alley fr=
om=20
which nobody has yet escaped. Nobody knows how it can be like that.=20
-Richard Feynman=20

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v--