Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 23:25:20 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        Stephen Hilton <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Running Stable on remote production server

Juha Saarinen(juha@saarinen.org)@2001.05.14 08:12:07 +0000:
> On Sun, 13 May 2001, Stephen Hilton wrote:
>
> > How can you accomplish the single user installworld steps on a remote system ?
> > Especially the mergemaster program that involves interactive routines ?
> > I would be using SSH to connect to a remote FreeBSD box.
>
> Why do you have to run mergemaster in single-user mode?
i think you don't explicitly have to but you should because it touches
delicate files that could at least irritate running and active
subsystems. i could imagine some daemons to badly barf about changing
uids in the password db while they are running ;-)
/k

--
> knowledge is power. power corrupts. study hard, be evil
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- http://www.webmonster.de -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 BF46