Date:      Sat, 7 Oct 2017 09:49:40 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: console-only freebsd

On Oct 7, 2017 7:21 AM, "tech-lists" <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:

Hi,

I have a freebsd 11-stable installation on a (gutless) netbook. What I'd
like is full functionality via the console[1]. One of the things it needs
is some graphics capability but without xorg. So I'm thinking, svga or
libSDL. For example, let's say to view a jpg file. If this is possible from
the console, what program or port would one use to view a gif or jpg file?

[1] by console, I mean the consoles accessed via alt-f1 to alt-f7 [2]
[2] can the number of consoles be increased?

Tmux or screen will give you an unlimited number of virtual terminals using
only a single TTY. And give you the ability to split the console into
multiple windows.

Cheers,
Freddie