Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:42:51 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@freebsd.org>
To:        Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg <listsub@401.cx>
Cc:        Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD not popular in Asia?

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:

> Olivier Nicole wrote:
>>> Check out http://www.bsdstats.org ... Republic of Korea is about to push
>>> the US out of first place, but there are *zero* FreeBSD boxes reporting
>>> from there ... DragonFly is first, then NetBSD and then OpenBSD ...
>>
>> 6 days later: Thailand jumped from 12 machines to 110... ahead of
>> France and Australia.
>
> This is a long shot, but couldn't it just be that a portal or
> usergroup of some kind started promoting bsdstats?
> Lets say a BSD usergroup in Thailand posted a notice on the first
> page about bsdstats. The usergroup has 200 visitors a day and half
> of them decides to follow the advice and install bsdstats. That
> would explain the sudden burst of 100 machines.
>
> Another plausible explanation is that an administrator of some
> network with 100 or so workstations or servers decided to push out
> bsdstats as a nightly upgrade or similar.
>
> It does not seem totally impossible to me, alltough I would not base
> any major decision on those figures without checking them first.

At only 5000 hosts, I wouldn't be basing any decisions anyway ... I'd like
to see 10x that number, and consistently, every month before reading *too*
much into them ...

Its only been running about 30 days so far, so @ 5k hosts so far, and most
of those *since* Sept 1st, it shouldn't take us too long ...

----