Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 1998 19:51:09 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@virginia.edu>, Wei Weng <wweng@stevens-tech.edu>
Cc:        Jason Wik <jwik@best.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VIRUS

I saw an article in a computer magazine (one of: Microtimes, Computer
Currents, PC Magazine, PC/Computing) which said that the first Linux virus
had been written. The article also said that Norton made a free (!) Linux
antivirus program to combat this virus.

At 02:55 PM 1/17/98 -0500, Adrian T. Filipi-Martin wrote:

>	I really doubt there is a virus on their system; there just aren't
>any unix viri out there.  I have only heard of a very few proof of concept
>unix viri.  In all likelihood, you have a trojan or some other security
>problem.  And that's how you should apprach this; as a security problem.
>If files are being modified on the system, someone has gained privlidges
>beyond what they ought to have.
>
>	BTW, there is a virus checker from McAfee that runs native under
>FreeBSD, but it is meant for checking MS-DOS/Windoze files for viruses.  A
>lot of people use unix file servers because NT servers suck.  This make is
>eash to check all files on the server wihtout moving themover the network
>to a DOS box to check for viruses.
>
>	Adrian
>--
>adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert
island, and
>System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my
computer,
>Neurosurgical Visualzation Lab -->>| it would be FreeBSD.  Think about
it.....
>http://www.nvl.virginia.edu/     ->|      http://www.freebsd.org/
>

>On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, Wei Weng wrote:
>
>> well...
>> If u have the root access, a rm -rf is a deadly virus.
>> There are lots of ways to trick root, no need to make a virus.
>> If u realy want to find one, mcafee claims they have made an antivirus
>> program for linux. You can try to run it on your freebsd box.
>>
>> Wei Weng wweng@stevens-tech.edu
>> http://attila.stevens-tech.edu/~wweng
>> Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows ... buried in
>> the flow of time ... in the great name, I pledge myself to darkness, all
>> the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed ... by the power you and
>> I possess, DRAGON SLAVE!
>> main(a,b){a="main(a,b){a=%c%s%c;b='%c';printf(a,b,a,b,b);}";b='"';printf

(a,b,a,b,b);}main(a){a="main(a){a=%c%s%c;printf(a,34,a,34);}";printf(a,34,a,
>> 34);}main(a){printf(a="main(a){printf(a=%c%s%c,34,a,34);}",34,a,34);}
>>
>> On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, Jason Wik wrote:
>>
>> > I Have a question one of our clients uses freeBSD and claims to have a
>> > virus. Is there an antiviral program that can be used on FreeBSD for
>> > FreeBSD. I am aware of the limitations of a virus in a unix O/S. But it
>> > wouldn't suprise me. Hope you can help me out.
>> >
>> >                   Thanks,
>> >                   Jason

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com   ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org
PGP Key & Geek Code available on web page