Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 15:13:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: Granularity of disk I/O

> :Thanks. It seems to me that for a filesystem, a block (or a fragment) is
> :the unit of I/O.  Even if a single byte is modified, an entire block
> :probably consisting of multiple sectors must be written back to the disk.
> :As you said, there is no differnce whether we write this block one sector
> :at a time or in a single transfer. If so, I wonder whether the atomicity
> :of a sector I/O required by a directory file is necessary any more.
> :
> :-Zhihui
>
>     The directory blocking is there for a different reason.  Atomicy does not
>     have much to do with it though perhaps it did at some point in the past.

I think atomicity is still the reason. The basic block size of a directory
is still a 512-byte sector, and chances are we might write directory blocks
one sector at a time (4k/512 formatted fs), so we have to guarantee directory
entries don't cross the 512-byte sector boundary. On a 8k/1k fs, you probably
could get away with crossing the odd 512-byte sector boundary though.

-lq