Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 2020 15:19:35 -0700
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   drive selection for disk arrays

Jacques Foucry wrote:

> ALWAYS (when it's possible) buy and use disks from different brand
> (mix seagate, WD, etc..) in order to avoid same series and same
> MTBF.
>
> I know this to late in this case, but keep this in mind.
>
> I know this will not help in this case, please excuse my
> intervention if it's inappropriate.

To date, most of my arrays have been composed of similar drives.  But, I
run a SOHO LAN and have limited experience.  I have been wondering about
using dissimilar drives to prevent simultaneous common-mode failures.

Backblaze publishes statistics for individual drives:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-q2-2019/

I would be curious to read any data or reports comparing arrays of
similar drives vs. arrays of dissimilar drives.

Have anyone seen a failure involving multiple similar drives all failing
in the same mode at the same time?

David