Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:44:14 +0800 (WST)
From:      Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
To:        cckok00@stlinux.ouhk.edu.hk (Peter Kok)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: different between sun solaris and freebsd

Hello Peter

> I would like to know what is the different between Sun Solaris BSD and
> freebsd

At a very superficial level (i.e. my knowledge on this is not deep :-)

  o  Solaris is based on AT&T System V (R4)
  o  FreeBSD is based on BSD 4.4

However, earlier versions of SunOS were BSD based.

There are a number of good books that have a history of Unix, and that
can explain the differences between SysV4 and BSD. I rather like Richard
Stevens `Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment'.  The introduction
to the FreeBSD handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/) contains a brief
history of Unix (as it relates to FreeBSD).

Regards,

Mike Kennett
(mike@laurasia.com.au)