Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:01:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Sameer R. Manek" <manek@ecst.csuchico.edu>
To:        Keith Woodman <keith@lightningweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -stable upgrade

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Keith Woodman wrote:

> While in the process of upgrading a system from 3.0 to
> 3.1-stable. I ran across a url that quoted Jordan Hubbard on which method
> was the best way. To install fresh or up from source.
>
> http://www.freebsdzine.org/features/cvsup.shtml
>
> In the article Mr Hubbard suggests that a fresh install is the best way to
> go about the upgrade. As compared to a source upgrade.
> (I've completed the upgrade to 3.1-stable using source.)
> I am unclear as to what the down side to doing the upgrade via the source
> was. All that is stated in the quoted mail was that it was a cleaner
> install. What exactly is a "cleaner install"?
>
> Thank you
> Keith

Well they changed the way /etc/rc.conf works in 3.0 and 3.1, If I remember
correctly 3.1 no longer uses lkm, it instead uses kld. Then there is the
whole a.out vs elf issue. In many ways 3.0 was a transition os, IMHO it's
wasn't meant to be used by anyone who intended to maintain a stable
system, it was more of a stepping stone to 3.1.

Doing a fresh install of 3.1 is a lot cleaner and less error prone then
trying to give someone instructions on how to make the transition from 3.0
to 3.1.

Sameer